Thursday 26 September 2013

PUNDI PALLE CHUTNEY

Pundi palle or Gongura as it is popularly known is sour in taste and used for making pickles and chutneys.


INGREDIENTS
1 bunch of pundi palle/gongura leaves/sorrel leaves
 1 1/2 tbsp bengal gram (chana dal)
1 1/2 tbsp black gram dal (udad dal)
1/2 tsp cumin (jeera)
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi)
A few mustard seeds
5-6 red chilies
3-4 tbsp oil.
salt to taste


FOR TEMPERING
2-3 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp bengal gram
2-3 whole red chilies

METHOD
In a tsp of oil, fry the chana dal,udad dal,methi, jeera, mustard and red chilies. Grind into a coarse powder on cooling and keep aside
Remove the leaves from the stem, wash and wipe with a cloth. Allow them to dry completely by spreading on a piece of cloth. Before cooking there should be no moisture. .
Heat oil in a pan and fry the gongura/sorrel leaves. Do not add salt.They will immediately reduce in quantity.
Now grind along with the powdered spices and salt to a paste. If required you can add very little water while grinding. Remove in a bowl and temper.
(Heat oil, add mustard,when it splutters add the split bengal gram and red chilies)
This chutney can be stored for 3-4 days. More the oil, the tastier it gets.




Enjoy this tangy chutney by mixing with steaming hot rice and ghee!   





No comments:

About Me

My photo
I began this blog to compile my recipes in one place. I started writing this keeping in mind beginners and busy people and hence have tried to keep the steps and procedure as simple as possible. The recipes that you find here are vegetarian, which I cook on a day to day basis and are quite simple. I dedicate this space to all the people whom I came across,who inspired me to cook, who shared their recipes and tips and helped me improve my culinary skills.