This is usually served as a side dish for Adai .
It is also one of the essential items in a South Indian traditional meal which is served on a banana leaf.
Select a large variety of vegetables.
I have used a mixture of yam,pumpkin, chow chow (chayote), carrot,beans,potato, drumstick, raw banana, knol khol and ash gourd.
Yam, pumpkin and raw banana are the basic vegetables. But you can try out any combination . Select vegetables which remain firm and do not become very soft on cooking.
|MIXTURE OF VEGETABLES|
|GRIND TO A PASTE|
|VEGETABLES WITH THE GROUND PASTE|
4 cups mixed vegetables
1/4 cup grated coconut
2 green chillies
1 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
1/4 tsp rice flour
1/4 cup curd
2 tbsp coconut oil
a few curry leaves
salt to taste
- Cut the vegetables into 2 inch long cubes.
- Boil along with salt. Do not overcook. The vegetables should be cooked but firm.
- Grind to a paste,the coconut, jeera, green chillies and rice flour.
- When the vegetables get cooked ,add the ground paste along with afew curry leaves and simmer for a few min.
- Do not boil on high heat for a long time as the oil from the coconut will begin to separate.
- Add coconut oil and curd and mix well
- Avial is ready to be served !