Saturday 21 March 2015

IDLI PODI / CHUTNEY PUDI/ GUN POWDER

A South Indian home is never without this lentil spice mixture.  It can be stored in an air tight container for 2-3 weeks.

I guess it's called "Gun Powder" because of its spicy taste.  :)
The Karnataka variety of Chutney Pudi (as  it is called there) is a bit sweet due to the jaggery added to it. 

It is a quick fix for a hungry stomach. 

It serves as a dip for idli and dosas, when you are not  willing to make the chutneys.
This mixture can be mixed  with any oil of your choice. (Gingelly, ground nut, or coconut.)
It can also be eaten with steamed rice mixed with butter or ghee. 
It can also be used as a spread on bread or toast.

Whatever way you want to have it, it tastes yum.


INGREDIENTS
1/2  cup chana dal/ bengal gram dal
1/2 cup udad dal/ black gram dal
I have used dal with skin,but  without skin can be used.
2 tsp til/sesame seeds
A small piece of tamarind (approx 2" piece)
a pinch of hing/asafoetida
3-4 whole red chilies
salt approx 1/4 tsp or more as per your taste
Curry leaves (optional) 

METHOD

  • Roast the chana dal, udad dal and til separately in a thick bottomed pan, on a low flame to a golden brown colour.
  • Keep the tamarind near the flame ,below the pan while you are roasting the dals.
  • The tamarind will become crisp and will be easy to grind.
  • In a drop of oil roast the hing and red chillies. (and curry leaves if you want to add them.)
  • Allow to cool and mix all the ingredients along with salt and grind to a coarse powder.
  • During grinding, the mixture/powder becomes a bit warm.
  • Store in an air tight container when it reaches room temperature.
  • Do not close the lid of the container when the mixture is warm. 
  • Let it reach room temperature before storing. This will help it to stay fresh for long.
ENJOY YOUR IDLIS AND DOSAS AND  BREAD AND RICE AND........


Do let me know if you tried it out with something else and enjoyed :)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I began this blog to compile my recipes in one place. I started writing this keeping in mind beginners and busy people and hence have tried to keep the steps and procedure as simple as possible. The recipes that you find here are vegetarian, which I cook on a day to day basis and are quite simple. I dedicate this space to all the people whom I came across,who inspired me to cook, who shared their recipes and tips and helped me improve my culinary skills.