Saturday 7 September 2013

LADY'S FINGER SAMBHAR

INGREDIENTS
1 Cup arhar/toovar dal (pigeon peas lentils)
3 cups chopped lady's finger
1 medium sized tomato
2-3 tsp tamarind paste
2 tsp sambhar powder
1/4 tsp haldi (turmeric powder)
A pinch of amchur (This is to prevent sticking of the lady's finger while frying)
4-5 tsp oil
Mustard seeds 
A pinch of hing
A sprig of curry leaves
Salt to taste

METHOD
Boil the dal and keep aside. 
Wash the lady's finger and wipe them dry. Chop them into approx 1/2 inch pieces. Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan (a non-stick pan would be easier to fry the lady's finger.) Add mustard when it splutters add hing and curry leaves. Now add the lady's finger and start frying. Add a pinch of amchur while frying to avoid stickiness. Do not add salt while frying and do not stir frequently. Stir lightly on slow flame. Fry till it becomes slightly crispy.Then add haldi and sambhar powder and fry for a few secs. (You will get a nice aroma of the sambhar powder)


Grind the tomato to a paste in the mixer (I do this to save time).
In a vessel, mix the boiled dal, ground tomato, salt, tamarind paste, a few curry leaves, a pinch of sugar (optional) and boil well.
Now add the fried lady's finger and boil for a few secs. Do not boil too much after adding the lady's finger.
Serve with steaming rice and ghee!


Note: The same method can be followed for making bitter gourd sambhar. Do not boil the sambhar after adding the fried bitter gourd.


No comments:

About Me

My photo
I began this blog to compile my recipes in one place. I started writing this keeping in mind beginners and busy people and hence have tried to keep the steps and procedure as simple as possible. The recipes that you find here are vegetarian, which I cook on a day to day basis and are quite simple. I dedicate this space to all the people whom I came across,who inspired me to cook, who shared their recipes and tips and helped me improve my culinary skills.