Monday 30 September 2013

PUMPKIN SAMBHAR AND PUMPKIN SKIN CHUTNEY/

PUMPKIN SAMBHAR

INGREDIENTS
2- 3 cups pumkin cut into large cubes
1 cup toovar dal ( yellow lentil )
2 tbsp grated coconut
2-3 tsp sambhar powder
1-2 tsp tamarind paste
1/4 tsp haldi (turmeric powder)
A sprig of curry leaves
1/4 tsp hing (asafoetida)
Salt to taste

METHOD
Cook the pumpkin in a vessel ,by adding a little salt. Pressure cook the dal by adding turmeric powder. Blend the dal well . Grind the coconut, sambhar powder and tamarind paste to a fine paste. Mix the dal and the ground paste to the cooked pumpkin and boil well along with salt and curry leaves.
Temper with mustard seeds, red chilies, hing and curry leaves.



                                              PUMPKIN SKIN CHUTNEY

INGREDIENTS
1 cup pumpkin skin, chopped
1 1/2 tsp udad dal( black gram)
1/2 tsp coriander seeds (dhania)
1/4 tsp hing (asafoetida)
3-4 tbsp grated coconut
tamarind paste
salt to taste


METHOD
In a drop of oil fry the udad dal, dhania , hing and green chilies. Add salt and saute for a few mins till the pumpkin skin becomes soft. Grind along with coconut and tamarind water.
Temper with mustard,udad dal, hing and curry leaves in a tsp  of coconut oil or any other cooking oil.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nurtitious chutney

About Me

My photo
I began this blog to compile my recipes in one place. I started writing this keeping in mind beginners and busy people and hence have tried to keep the steps and procedure as simple as possible. The recipes that you find here are vegetarian, which I cook on a day to day basis and are quite simple. I dedicate this space to all the people whom I came across,who inspired me to cook, who shared their recipes and tips and helped me improve my culinary skills.