Thursday 24 October 2013

SEEME BADANE TOVE

Seeme Badanekayi is also known as Chow Chow.  It is known as CHOYOTE SQUASH in English.
I use it frequently for making pallya , tove and majjige huli.
Here I am sharing the recipe for making tovve.
Tovve is a lentil curry  with or without vegetables.
It has no spices and requires a simple tempering.
It is a good side dish for rotis.

INGREDIENTS
1 medium sized chow chow/choyote squash
Peel the skin, remove the seed and then chop into small cubes.
1/4 cup moong dal/green gram dal
2-3 green chilies
1 small tomato
1/2 tsp mustard
1/4 tsp jeera/cumin
1/4 tsp haldi/ turmeric powder
a pinch of hing/asafoetida
a sprig of curry leaves
salt to taste.


METHOD
Heat 2tsp of oil. 

Add mustard, jeera hing, curry leaves and chopped green chilies. 

Add the washed daal and stir for a min. 

Add the chopped vegetable, tomato, haldi and salt. 

Add a cup of water and pressure cook till the lentils/dal become soft. 

The dal should not get overcooked and form a paste!

Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.

Can be served with rice or  rotis.


Other vegetables like ridge gourd, snake gourd  or cucumber can be used in this recipe.
If you are not using a pressure cooker, boil the dal and vegetables separately and then temper them and boil.


2 comments:

Aiyappa said...

This is helpful Thank you. Did not know to cook Chayote Squash and came across this one.

veena vyas said...

Hope you liked it. :)

About Me

My photo
I began this blog to compile my recipes in one place. I started writing this keeping in mind beginners and busy people and hence have tried to keep the steps and procedure as simple as possible. The recipes that you find here are vegetarian, which I cook on a day to day basis and are quite simple. I dedicate this space to all the people whom I came across,who inspired me to cook, who shared their recipes and tips and helped me improve my culinary skills.