Wednesday 30 October 2013

MAIDA CHAKKLI

It's DIWALI time and time for making ,gifting and eating lots of sweets and savories!
I started the preparations by making CHAKLI. But this time I made a chakli from Maida/All purpose flour. I MUST mention here that I learnt this recipe from my mother-in-law.
I like this as it is very easy to make and is doesn't require too much of kneading and butter or oil as  required in other chalki recipes.

Try it and do let me know if you liked it.

HAPPY CHAKLI MAKING  :)


YOU WILL NEED
500 maida/all purpose flour which is almost 4 cups
280 ml of water
1 1/2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
1 1/2 tsp til seeds/sesame seeds
1 3/4 tsp salt
oil for frying

I prefer frying all these snacks in ground nut oil as I have found out they remain fresh for a longer time as compared to sunflower oil. You can store these for more than 10 -12 days in an air tight container. When fried in sunflower oil it starts smelling a bit  after 5-6 days.

PREPARATION

  • Tie the maida in a clean cloth and pressure cook till you get 4 whistles (or as much time you need to cook rice in your cooker. 
  • When pressure reduces untie the cloth and transfer the flour to a large plate.  It will be in the form of a large lump. 
  • Allow to cool and break the lumps and sieve the flour.

  • I used a flat bottomed katori/bowl to break the lumps but maybe a potato masher can also be used.

  • Repeat the process till all the flour is free from lumps.(You can discard the last portion of lumps.)
Add jeera/cumin, til/sesame ,salt and water and knead into a soft dough.


Do not knead very hard.  It is enough if you get a soft ball of dough.


  • Keep oil for heating in a deep frying pan.
  • Fill the Chakli making machine with the dough and makepress them into circles on a piece of paper.







  • You can directly press the chakli in the oil but  I prefer to first press them on paper and then fry , to get uniform shaped circles. Press the outside end properly or it the ring will open up while frying.
  • Slide the chaklis in the oil and fry till they turn crisp.
  • These chaklis will not turn golden brown but you can know the end point by seeing the oil.




  • It will stop foaming when the chaklis are done.   

ENJOY THESE CRISPY WHITE CHAKLIS!




No comments:

About Me

My photo
I began this blog to compile my recipes in one place. I started writing this keeping in mind beginners and busy people and hence have tried to keep the steps and procedure as simple as possible. The recipes that you find here are vegetarian, which I cook on a day to day basis and are quite simple. I dedicate this space to all the people whom I came across,who inspired me to cook, who shared their recipes and tips and helped me improve my culinary skills.