Wednesday 8 April 2015

JUST PLAIN DAAL

This is a favourite in my home.
A plain bland daal to go with steamed rice.
This is the simplest form of daal that I make . Very easy to make and very tasty

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup toovar daal / pigeon peas
1 1/2 -2 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
1/4 tsp hing / asafoetida
2-3 green chillies slit or chopped
1'' piece ginger finely crushed
1/2 tsp haldi /turmeric powder
a few curry leaves
salt to taste


METHOD

IN GOES THE JEERA AND HING

FOLLOWED BY GREEN CHIILIES AND CURRY LEAVES

THEN COMES THE GINGER AND HALDI

AND FINALLY THE MASHED DAAL


  • Pressure cook the dal till soft.
  • Mash it well and keep aside.
  • Heat ghee in a pan.
  • Add jeera and hing.
  • Then add the green chillies and curry leaves.
  • Fry for some time till the chillies change colour .
  • Add crushed ginger and haldi and mix well. 
  • Add the daal, water and salt and boil well .
  • Garnish with coriander leaves
  • Serve hot with steamed rice with a generous amount of ghee.
  •  A few drops of lemon juice and pickle will enhance the taste but it is left to your palate.


 POINTS TO KEEP IN MIND

Do not replace the ghee with cooking oil.The flavour to the dish comes from the ingredients fried in ghee .
You may also notice that I have used more of turmeric powder here and not just a pinch.
Do not make the daal watery.  It should be like a thick gravy.


No comments:

About Me

My photo
I began this blog to compile my recipes in one place. I started writing this keeping in mind beginners and busy people and hence have tried to keep the steps and procedure as simple as possible. The recipes that you find here are vegetarian, which I cook on a day to day basis and are quite simple. I dedicate this space to all the people whom I came across,who inspired me to cook, who shared their recipes and tips and helped me improve my culinary skills.