Tuesday 20 January 2015

PESARATTU WITH SHENGA CHUTNEY

Pesarattu is a breakfast variety from Andhra Pradesh. I tasted authentic onion pesarattu and groundnut chutney when I was in Andhra many many years ago.
It is a very tasty and nutritious breakfast and very easy to prepare too.

PESARATTU

INGREDIENTS

1 cup green gram/whole moong
1/4 cup sooji/semolina/rawa
2tsp rice flour
1 onion
2-3 green chilies
1 tsp jeera/cumin
a pinch of haldi/ turmeric
salt to taste

In the original dish, a few tbsp rice is used but I replaced it with  /semolina to avoid the rice.

METHOD
Soak the moong overnight. In the morning , grind it to a paste along with onion and green chilies.
Mix all the other ingredients and form a batter of dropping consistency.

Heat a tawa and spread  a ladle of the batter on the tawa. (You can sprinkle very finely chopped onions and press with the spatula to get onion pesarattu) Add a tsp of oil on the sides and after some time flip it on the other side.


Cook on medium to slow flame to get crispy pesarattu.
Serve with groundnut chutney.


                                             


  GROUNDNUT CHUTNEY

INGREDIENTS
1 cup roasted groundnuts
3-4 green chilies chopped
1 small onion chopped
2-3 cloves garlic chopped
1/4 tsp jeera/cumin
1 1/2 tsp tamarind paste
salt to taste

METHOD
Remove the skin of the groundnuts after roasting. Mix all the ingredients and grind to a fine paste. Temper with mustard and curry leaves.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I began this blog to compile my recipes in one place. I started writing this keeping in mind beginners and busy people and hence have tried to keep the steps and procedure as simple as possible. The recipes that you find here are vegetarian, which I cook on a day to day basis and are quite simple. I dedicate this space to all the people whom I came across,who inspired me to cook, who shared their recipes and tips and helped me improve my culinary skills.