Thursday 10 October 2013

Moth bean curry/ madki kalu palle

This is generally eaten in north karnataka along with jowar (pearl  millets). rotti or bajra (black millets) rotti (flattened bread)
These millets form  the staple diet of people in North karnataka. They are eaten in the form of rottis along with different varieties of bean curries, raw onion, curd and chutney pudi.( spicy powder)
I learnt this recipe from  my cousin who makes very good north karnataka dishes.

INGREDIENTS
2 cups soaked moth bean
3-4 green chilies
1/2 tsp jeera (cumin)
1'' piece ginger
2 cloves garlic
1 large onion
A few curry leaves
A few coriander leaves
2 tsp oil

METHOD
Grind the green chilies ,cumin,ginger, garlic, curry leaves and coriander leaves  along with salt to a  thick paste and keep aside. This paste can be store in the refrigerator for a week and used when required.

Heat oil in a pan.  Add a little mustar and cumin. When mustard splutters, add curry leaves.
Add chopped onions and saute till they become transparent.Now add the soaked moth beans/madki. Add 2-3 tsp of the ground paste.Add salt. Sprinkle a liitle water and cover with a lid. Cook for a few mins till the beans become 3/4th cooked and remove from flame. The beans should not become too soft.
Serve with chapatis.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I began this blog to compile my recipes in one place. I started writing this keeping in mind beginners and busy people and hence have tried to keep the steps and procedure as simple as possible. The recipes that you find here are vegetarian, which I cook on a day to day basis and are quite simple. I dedicate this space to all the people whom I came across,who inspired me to cook, who shared their recipes and tips and helped me improve my culinary skills.